The Avon Breast Cancer Crusade
The Avon Breast Cancer Crusade was launched in 1992 as a small pioneering program in the U.K. Avon in the U.S. adopted the Crusade the following year. Over the last 17 years, Avon philanthropy has raised and donated more than $640 million to breast cancer programs around the world, supporting cutting-edge research to find a cure for or prevent breast cancer as well as programs that enable all patients to access quality care.
Funding supports awareness and education: screening and diagnosis; access to treatment; support services; and scientific research. Beneficiaries of the Avon Breast Cancer Crusade range from leading cancer research and clinical centers to community-based, non-profit breast health education programs.
Numerous Avon Crusade programs raise funds and awareness for the cause including the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer Series, the Avon Walk Around the World for Breast Cancer, and Crusade Pink Ribbon fundraising products.
While we remain steadfast in our commitment to find a cure, we are proud to have supported tremendous progress over the last 17 years in research and care:
- Educated 100,000,000 women worldwide on breast health through community-based and grassroots outreach since 1992
- Linked 14,000,000 women worldwide to early detection programs and mammography screening
- Provided $158-million to breast cancer research projects since 1999, including most recently more than $22 million for 41 research projects focused on primary prevention, understanding the etiology and potential causes of breast cancer and developing a blood or saliva test for early detection
- Forged new collaborations among nonprofit groups, government and industry by the Avon Foundation hosting the first-ever Collaborative Summit on Breast Cancer
- Launched the Love/Avon Army of Women to accelerate the pace of prevention research by enlisting one million (or 1,000,000) women - healthy women who never had breast cancer and survivors - in this effort